The South Bend 16" x 40" 440V EVS Lathe with Fagor DRO
Call-outs of the various features of the 16" x 40" Lathe 440V with DRO
The carriage controls
Another view of the carriage
The headstock controls
The headstock oil tank, oil fill spout, and sight glass
The inside view of the electrical panel box
The tailstock including the quill, quill lock, tailstock lock lever, gib screw, and handwheel
Specially engineered with strict control over tolerances, materials, and finish!
The most seasoned machinist will appreciate the electronic variable speed control, feed direction control on the apron, extra wide saddle for maximum rigidity, and adjustable feed rod clutch with stop collar.
Spindle speeds are dial-controlled allowing the operator to quickly set the electronically variable spindle speed within the available range of 20-2500 RPM.
Spindle speed is displayed on a Fagor digital readout and controlled within each speed range with the use of a dial—no looking up complex lever positions on a chart.
The bed of the lathe is constructed with patented Meehanite-processed castings that are hardened and precision-ground in the traditional three V-way prismatic design. This continues on a tradition long used on South Bend lathes for accuracy, durability, and rigidity.
Thick castings, heavy weight, and quality construction throughout provide the necessary brawn for demanding production and manufacturing tasks.
The headstocks feature quick-change gear levers and the carriages include an adjustable clutch that disables automatic carriage feed when it contacts the feed stop or in the event of a crash.
To further ensure a high degree of accuracy, these lathes are equipped with high quality Japanese spindle bearings. The spindles are D1-6 camlock with an MT#6 taper and 2.0625" bore. The tailstocks have an MT#4 taper and 6" of quill travel.
Maintenance is also a snap with a one-shot lubricator on the apron, pressurized lube to the spindle and pull-out chip tray.
This lathe is packed with additional standard features and equipment, including a complete coolant system, foot brake, powered cross feed, and premium Allen-Bradley contactors, thermal relays, and fuse system.
16" x 40" 440V EVS Lathe with Fagor DRO
- Fagor 2-axis DRO for precise positioning of the apron
- Superior engineered uniformity with Meehanite castings
- Signature self-centering South Bend three V-way bed
- Allen-Bradley electrical components
- Japanese Yaskawa inverter ensuring smooth, consistent torque and reliability
- Enclosed universal gearbox for cutting inch, metric, modular, and diametral pitches
- 10" 4-jaw independent chuck D1-6
- 9" 3-jaw scroll chuck mounted to D1-6 plate
- Japanese spindle bearings
- Full-length splash guard
- Front-removable sliding chip tray
- Micrometer carriage stop
- Threading dial indicator
- Jog button and emergency stop
- 4-Way tool post
- Toolbox with service tools
- US Based Customer Service and Technical Support
- Swing over bed: 16"
- Distance between centers: 40"
- Spindle bore: 1.57"
- Spindle motor: 7-1/2 HP, 440V, 3-phase, 11A
- Coolant pump motor: 1/8 HP, 0.15A
- Oil pump motor: 1/4 HP, 0.6A
- Swing over cross slide: 10-3/8"
- Swing over gap: 22.95"
- Width of bed: 10-1/4"
- Cross slide travel: 9-1/4"
- Compound slide travel: 5.1"
- Spindle nose: D1-5 camlock
- Spindle taper: MT #6
- Spindle speeds: (variable) from 20 - 2500 RPM
- Tailstock taper: MT #4
- Tailstock travel: 6"
- Tailstock barrel diameter: 2.047"
- Inch thread range: 2 to 72 TPI (45 pitches)
- Metric thread range: 0.2 to 14 mm (39 pitches)
- Modular threads: 0.3 to 3.5 (18 pitches)
- Diametral threads: 8 to 44 (21 pitches)
- Longitudinal feeds: 0.002 to 0.067 IPR (17)
- Cross feeds: 0.001 to 0.034 IPR (17)
- Overall dimensions: 86" W x 33" D x 61" H
- Approximate shipping weight: 3,132 lbs.
Built to true South Bend high-precision industrial standards.
DOWNLOAD OUR SPECIFICATION SHEET FOR COMPLETE SPECIFICATIONS, TWO-YEAR WARRANTY AND ACCESSORY INFORMATION.