The operator's view of the SB1114F Heavy 13 Toolroom Lathe
A view of the lathe showing the spindle-side and front of the machine.
The backside of the lathe including the tailstock side profile.
The backside of the lathe including the spindle side profile.
The spindle speed controls and digital readout.
A view of the installed scroll-type 3-jaw chuck.
The carriage controls including the carriage handwheel, cross slide handwheel, and compound rest handwheel.
The four-way tool post mounted on top of the compound rest.
A shot of the steady rest.
Tailstock and quill lock levers in locked position.
The gear cover removed to show the end gears in the standard configuration.
The motor access panel removed to show pulleys, belts, wiring, and proximity to the foot brake.
The oil pump motor, headstock oil tank, and sight glass.
The included accessories: 10" faceplate, 8" 4-jaw independent chuck, MT#3 dead centers, MT#5 to MT#3 spindle sleeve, leveling pads, and service tools.
Extraordinarily engineered from the ground up in the truest South Bend fashion
This Heavy 13 Gearhead Lathe is driven by a 5 HP motor with electronic variable speed to control spindle speeds between 100–3000 RPM.
A heavy-duty Delta variable-frequency driver inverter ensures smooth, consistent torque at every speed from the 5 HP 3-phase motor without requiring a 3-phase power.
The spindle has a D1-5 camlock with an MT#5 taper and 1.65" bore. The tailstocks have an MT#3 taper and 4-1/2" of quill travel.
To ensure long-lasting accuracy in the most demanding of shops, the spindle is equipped with high-quality Japanese bearings.
A factory-installed Fagor two-axis digital readout displays the positioning of the carriage and cross slide.
The bed of the lathe is constructed with patented Meehanite-processed castings that are hardened and precision-ground in the traditional three V-way prismatic design.
The lathe is equipped with a foot brake to quickly stop the spindle instead of allowing it to coast to a stop on its own. Pushing the foot brake while the spindle is on also cuts power to the motor and stops the spindle.
These machines feature an adjustable stop system that can be used to stop the carriage at a pre-set location when it is being driven by the feed rod.
The micrometer stop allows you to stop the carriage at the same position for repeat cuts, such as when turning up to a shoulder. It includes a graduated dial that allows you to precisely position the stop.
The headstocks feature quick-change gear levers and the carriages include an adjustable clutch that disables automatic carriage feed when it contacts the feed stop or in the event of a crash.
The chip drawer catches swarf and metal chips during the machining process. It contains a screen that prevents large chips from returning to the reservoir with the run-off coolant and causing damage to the pump.
When the coolant pump switch is turned ON, the fluid is delivered through the nozzle attached to the carriage. The flow is controlled by the valve lever at the base of the nozzle.
13" x 30" EVS Lathe with Fagor DRO
- Allen Bradley electrical components
- Signature South Bend three V-way bed
- Safety chuck guard with micro-switch shut-off
- Halogen work light
- 4-Way tool post
- Complete recycling coolant system
- Meehanite castings with induction-hardened ways
- Micrometer carriage stop
- Threading dial indicator
- High-quality spindle bearings
- Full-length splash guard with round corner
- Front-removeable sliding chip tray
- Enclosed universal gearbox for cutting inch, metric, modular and diametral pitches
- Jog button and emergency stop
- 8" 4-jaw independent chuck D1-5
- 7" 3-jaw scroll chuck mounted to D1-5 plate
- 10" faceplate D1-5
- Follow rest
- Steady rest with roller bearing tips
- #5 to #3 morse taper spindle sleeve
- Two morse taper #3 dead centers
- Toolbox with service tools
- US Based Customer Service and Technical Support
- Spindle motor: 5 HP, 220V, 3-phase, 15.5A (with single-phase inverter)
- Coolant pump motor: 1/8 HP, 0.4A
- Oil pump motor: 1/4 HP, 1.3A
- Distance between centers: 30"
- Swing over bed: 13-1/4"
- Swing over cross slide: 8"
- Swing over saddle: 13"
- Maximum tool bit size: 5/8"
- Compound travel: 3-3/4"
- Carriage travel: 25-9/16"
- Cross slide travel: 7"
- Spindle bore: 1.65"
- Spindle taper: MT #5
- Spindle speed: Variable, 100 - 3000 RPM
- Spindle type: D1-5 camlock
- Tailstock travel: 4-1/2"
- Tailstock taper: MT #3
- Tailstock barrel diameter: 1.968"
- Longitudinal feeds: 0.002 to 0.067 IPR (17)
- Cross feeds: 0.001 to 0.034 IPR (17)
- Inch thread range: 2 to 72 TPI (45 pitches)
- Metric thread range: 0.2 to 14 mm (39 pitches)
- Modular threads: 0.3 to 3.5 (18 pitches)
- Diametral threads: 8 to 44 (21 pitches)
- Bed width: 9"
- Overall dimensions: 71" W x 38" D x 60-1/2" H
- Approximate shipping weight: 2596 lbs.
Built to true South Bend high-precision industrial standards.