Three sizes of South Bend Turn-Nado Gearhead Lathes
The South Bend 21" x 80" Turn-Nado® Gearhead Lathe with DRO
The headstock and quick-change gearbox controls
Call-outs of the various features of the 21" x 80" Turn-Nado® Gearhead Lathe with DRO
The South Bend 21" x 120" Turn-Nado® Gearhead Lathe with DRO
Call-outs of the various features of the 21" x 120" Turn-Nado® Gearhead Lathe with DRO
The South Bend 18" x 60" Turn-Nado® Gearhead Lathe with Fagor DRO
Call-outs of the various features of the 18" x 60" Turn-Nado® Gearhead Lathe with Fagor DRO
The carriage controls
A close up of the carriage controls
An overhead view of the apron, compound slide, and four-way tool post
The chip drawer in the open position
A profile view looking down the lathe from the tailstock
Our TURN-NADO Gearhead Lathes are designed for demanding shops that want “nothing but the very best”
The TURN-NADO Gearhead Lathes come in three different sizes: 18" x 60", 21" x 80", and 21" x 120".
These TURN-NADOs are driven by a fixed speed 15 HP motor with quick-change gear levers to control the 16 spindle speeds between 20-1600 RPM.
The threading and feed charts display the necessary configurations of the gearbox levers and end gears for different threading or feeding options.
These lathes feature a spindle clutch that allows the operator to switch between forward and reverse without shutting down the motor—a great time saver.
To further ensure a high degree of accuracy, these lathes are equipped with high-quality spindle bearings. The spindles are D1-8 camlock with an MT#7 taper and 3.15" bore. The tailstocks have an MT#5 taper and 6-1/2" of quill travel.
A factory-installed Fagor digital readout displays the positioning of the carriage and cross slide.
A micrometer stop is used to limit carriage travel for production runs or make final adjustments to the carriage position.
The bed of the lathe is constructed with patented Meehanite-processed castings that are hardened and precision-ground in the traditional three V-way prismatic design. This continues on a tradition long used on South Bend lathes for accuracy, rigidity, and durability.
The carriages include an adjustable clutch that disables automatic carriage feed when it contacts the feed stop or in the event of a crash.
The headstock is supplied with oil from the oil tank in the base of the left stand. When the spindle motor is started, a belt-driven oil pump circulates oil across the headstock gears before spindle rotation is started.
The one-shot oiler lubricates the saddle ways with oil from the apron reservoir and then forces it through drilled passages to the way guides.
The lathe is equipped with a foot brake to quickly stop the spindle instead of allowing it to coast to a stop on its own. Pressing the foot brake disengages the spindle clutch from the motor drive inside the headstock.
The removeable chip drawer catches swarf and metal chips during the machining process. It contains a screen that keeps the large chips from returning to the reservoir, preventing pump damage.
When the coolant pump switch is turned ON, the fluid is delivered through the nozzle attached to the carriage. The flow is controlled by the valve lever at the base of the nozzle.
Turn-Nado Gearhead Lathes with Fagor DROs
ALL MACHINES FEATURE:
- Fagor 2-axis DRO for precise positioning of the carriage
- Superior engineered uniformity with Meehanite castings
- Signature self-centering South Bend three V-way bed
- Allen-Bradley electrical components
- Enclosed universal gearbox for cutting inch, metric, modular, and diametral pitches
- 14" 4-jaw independent chuck D1-8
- 12" 3-jaw scroll chuck mounted to D1-8 plate
- SKF spindle bearings
- Full-length splash guard
- Complete coolant system
- Front-removable sliding chip tray
- Micrometer carriage stop
- Threading dial indicator
- Jog button and emergency stop
- 4-Way tool post
- Toolbox with service tools
- US Based Customer Service and Technical Support
- Swing over bed: 18.11" (SB1057F), 21" (SB1047PF, SB1048PF)
- Spindle motor: 15 HP, 440V, 3-phase, 19A
- Coolant pump motor: 1/8 HP, 0.23A
- Swing over cross slide: 11.02"
- Swing over saddle: 18"
- Swing over gap: 27.95"
- Maximum tool bit size: 1"
- Compound travel: 5.39"
- Cross slide travel: 11"
- Spindle bore: 3.15"
- Spindle taper: MT #7
- Spindle speeds: (variable) from 20 - 1600 RPM
- Spindle type: D1-8 camlock
- Tailstock travel: 6-1/2"
- Tailstock taper: MT #5
- Tailstock barrel diameter: 3"
- Longitudinal feeds: 0.0015 to 0.0400 IPR (15)
- Cross feeds: 0.00075 to 0.020 IPR (15)
- Inch thread range: 2 to 72 TPI (38 pitches)
- Metric thread range: 0.4 to 14 mm (40 pitches)
- Modular threads: 0.3 to 3.5 (18 pitches)
- Diametral threads: 8 to 44 (21 pitches)
- Bed width: 13.58"
- Distance between centers: 80"
- Carriage travel: 79"
- Overall dimensions: 130-1/4" W x 27" D x 54-3/4" H
- Approximate shipping weight: 7040 lbs.
- Distance between centers: 120"
- Carriage travel: 119"
- Overall dimensions: 169-3/4" W x 27" D x 54-3/4" H
- Approximate shipping weight: 8712 lbs.
- Distance between centers: 60"
- Carriage travel: 59"
- Overall dimensions: 110-1/2" W x 27" D x 54-3/4" H
- Approximate shipping weight: 5522 lbs.
Built to true South Bend high-precision industrial standards.
DOWNLOAD OUR SPECIFICATION SHEET FOR COMPLETE SPECIFICATIONS, TWO-YEAR WARRANTY AND ACCESSORY INFORMATION.