The 16" x 40" and 16" x 60" South Bend Gearhead Lathes with Fagor DROs
The South Bend 16" x 40" Gearhead Lathe with DRO
The 16" x 40" Gearhead Lathe with DRO control panel
The backside of the 16" x 40" Gearhead Lathe with DRO
Looking down the 16" x 40" Gearhead Lathe with DRO from the tailstock
Coolant tank and pump
The carriage controls
The inside view of the electrical panel box
The front saddle gib
The carriage controls
The backside of the 16" x 40" Gearhead Lathe with DRO with the electrical panel closed
Leadscrew end bearing fill cap
The South Bend 16" x 60" Gearhead Lathe with DRO
Call-outs of the various features of the 16" x 60" Gearhead Lathe with DRO
Constructed to handle years of demanding industrial production and manufacturing tasks
These 16" Gearhead Lathes are driven by a two-speed 7-1/2 HP motor with quick-change gear levers to control the 16 spindle speeds between 40-2000 RPM.
The spindles are D1-6 camlock with an MT#6 taper and 2-1/16" bore. The tailstocks have an MT#4 taper and 6" of quill travel.
To ensure long-lasting accuracy in the most demanding of shops, the spindle is equipped with Japanese NTN bearings.
A factory-installed Fagor two-axis 20iT digital readout displays the positioning of the carriage and cross slide.
The bed of the lathe is constructed with Meehanite-processed castings that are hardened and precision-ground in the traditional three V-way prismatic design.
The lathe is equipped with a foot brake to quickly stop the spindle instead of allowing it to coast to a stop on its own. Pushing the foot brake while the spindle is on also cuts power to the motor.
These machines feature an adjustable stop system that can be used to stop the carriage at a pre-set location when it is being driven by the feed rod.
A micrometer stop is used to limit carriage travel for production runs or make final adjustments to the carriage position.
The headstock gearing is lubricated by an oil bath that distributes the lubricant with the motion of the gears, much like an automotive manual transmission.
The chip drawer catches swarf and metal chips during the machining process. It contains a screen that allows run-off coolant to drain back into the reservoir.
When the coolant pump switch is turned ON, the fluid is delivered through the nozzle attached to the carriage. The flow is controlled by the valve lever at the base of the nozzle.
16" Gearhead Lathes with DRO
BOTH MACHINES FEATURE:
- Fagor 2-axis DRO for precise positioning of the carriage
- Superior engineered uniformity with Meehanite castings
- Signature self-centering South Bend three V-way bed
- Allen-Bradley electrical components
- Enclosed universal gearbox for cutting inch, metric, modular, and diametral pitches
- 10" 4-jaw independent chuck D1-6
- 9" 3-jaw scroll chuck mounted to D1-6 plate
- NTN spindle bearings
- Full-length splash guard
- Complete coolant system
- Sliding chip tray
- Micrometer carriage stop
- Threading dial indicator
- Jog button and emergency stop
- 12" faceplate D1-6
- Follow rest
- Steady rest with ball bearing tips
- #6 to #4 morse taper spindle sleeve
- Two morse taper #4 dead centers
- 4-Way tool post
- Toolbox with service tools
- US Based Customer Service and Technical Support
- Swing over bed: 16-1/8"
- Spindle bore: 2-1/16"
- Spindle motor: 7-1/2 HP, 440V, 3-phase, 10A at 1725 RPM, 9A at 850 RPM
- Coolant pump motor: 1/8 HP
- Swing over cross slide: 10-3/8"
- Swing over saddle: 15-3/4"
- Swing over gap: 22.95"
- Maximum tool bit size: 3/4"
- Compound travel: 5.1"
- Cross slide travel: 9"
- Spindle taper: MT #6
- Spindle speeds: (variable) from 40 - 2000 RPM
- Spindle type: D1-6 camlock
- Tailstock travel: 6"
- Tailstock taper: MT #4
- Tailstock barrel diameter: 2.047"
- Longitudinal feeds: 0.002 to 0.067 IPR (17)
- Cross feeds: 0.001 to 0.034 IPR (17)
- Inch thread range: 2 to 72 TPI (45 pitches)
- Metric thread range: 0.2 to 14 mm (39 pitches)
- Modular threads: 0.3 to 3.5 (18 pitches)
- Diametral threads: 8 to 44 (21 pitches)
- Bed width: 10-1/4"
- Distance between centers: 40"
- Carriage travel: 38.58"
- Overall dimensions: 86" W x 32-3/4" D x 49" H
- Approximate shipping weight: 3344 lbs.
- Distance between centers: 60"
- Carriage travel: 54"
- Overall dimensions: 105-1/2" W x 32-3/4" D x 49" H
- Approximate shipping weight: 3652 lbs.
Built to true South Bend high-precision industrial standards.
DOWNLOAD OUR SPECIFICATION SHEET FOR COMPLETE SPECIFICATIONS, TWO-YEAR WARRANTY AND ACCESSORY INFORMATION.