South Bend® Heavy 13 lathes with and without a Fagor DRO
The South Bend Heavy 13®, 13" x 30" Gearhead Lathe with Fagor DRO
The Heavy 13® control panel
The South Bend Heavy 13®, 13" x 30" Gearhead Lathe
Call-outs of the various features of the Heavy 13®, 13" x 30" Gearhead Lathe
The carriage controls
A view of the opened full-length splash guard
The close up of the carriage controls
An overhead view of the apron, compound slide, and four-way tool post
The 7" 3-jaw scroll chuck D1-5 (bolt on jaws), chuck safety guard with limit switch, and steady rest
The tailstock including the quill, quill lock, tailstock lock lever, graduated scale and quill handwheel
The end gear components of the Heavy 13®
The inside view of the electrical panel box
The tool box with added tools for maintenance of the Heavy 13®
The 8" D1-5 4-jaw independent chuck and 10" D1-5 faceplate
Extraordinarily engineered from the ground up in the truest South Bend fashion
These Heavy 13 Gearhead Lathes are driven by a fixed speed 3 HP motor with convenient headstock levers to control the 8 spindle speeds between 80-2000 RPM.
The spindles are D1-5 camlock with an MT#5 taper and 1.57" bore. The tailstocks have an MT#3 taper and 1.968" of quill travel.
To ensure long-lasting accuracy in the most demanding of shops, the spindle is equipped with high-quality Japanese bearings.
On the SB1049F, a factory-installed Fagor two-axis digital readout displays the positioning of the carriage and cross slide.
The bed of the lathes are constructed with Meehanite-processed castings that are hardened and precision-ground in the traditional three V-way prismatic design.
Each lathe is equipped with a foot brake to quickly stop the spindle instead of allowing it to coast to a stop on its own. Pushing the foot brake while the spindle is on also cuts power to the motor and stops the spindle.
These machines feature an adjustable stop system that can be used to stop the carriage at a pre-set location when it is being driven by the feed rod.
The micrometer stop allows you to stop the carriage at the same position for repeat cuts, such as when turning up to a shoulder. It includes a graduated dial that allows you to precisely position the stop.
The headstocks feature quick-change gear levers and the carriages include an adjustable clutch that disables automatic carriage feed when it contacts the feed stop or in the event of a crash.
The chip drawer catches swarf and metal chips during the machining process. It contains a screen that prevents large chips from returning to the reservoir with the run-off coolant and causing damage to the pump.
When the coolant pump switch is turned ON, the fluid is delivered through the nozzle attached to the carriage. The flow is controlled by the valve lever at the base of the nozzle.
13" x 30" Heavy 13® Gearhead Lathes
BOTH MACHINES FEATURE:
- Superior engineered uniformity with Meehanite castings
- Signature self-centering South Bend three V-way bed
- Allen-Bradley electrical components
- Enclosed universal gearbox for cutting inch, metric, modular, and diametral pitches
- 8" 4-jaw independent chuck D1-5
- 7" 3-jaw scroll chuck mounted to D1-5 plate
- 10" faceplate D1-5
- High-quality Japanese spindle bearings
- Full-length splash guard with round corner
- Complete coolant system
- Front-removeable sliding chip tray
- Micrometer carriage stop
- Threading dial indicator
- Jog button and emergency stop
- Follow rest
- Steady rest with roller bearing tips
- #5 to #3 morse taper spindle sleeve
- Two morse taper #3 dead centers
- 4-Way tool post
- Toolbox with service tools
- US based customer service and technical support
- Swing over bed: 13.38"
- Distance between centers: 30"
- Spindle bore: 1.57"
- Spindle motor: 3 HP, 220V, single-phase, 16.5
- Coolant pump motor: 1/8 HP, 0.45A
- Swing over cross slide: 8.26"
- Swing over saddle: 11.02"
- Maximum tool bit size: 3/4"
- Compound travel: 4"
- Carriage travel: 36-1/2"
- Cross slide travel: 7"
- Spindle taper: MT #5
- Spindle speeds: 80 - 2000 RPM
- Spindle type: D1-5 camlock
- Tailstock travel: 4-1/2"
- Tailstock taper: MT #3
- Tailstock barrel diameter: 1.968"
- Longitudinal feeds: 0.002 to 0.067 IPR (17)
- Cross feeds: 0.001 to 0.034 IPR (17)
- Inch thread range: 2 to 72 TPI (45 pitches)
- Metric thread range: 0.2 to 14 mm (39 pitches)
- Modular threads: 0.3 to 3.5 (18 pitches)
- Diametral threads: 8 to 44 (21 pitches)
- Bed width: 9"
- Overall dimensions: 79" W x 38" D x 69" H
- Approximate shipping weight: 2090 lbs.
Built to true South Bend high-precision industrial standards.
DOWNLOAD OUR SPECIFICATION SHEET FOR COMPLETE SPECIFICATIONS, TWO-YEAR WARRANTY AND ACCESSORY INFORMATION.