Front view of the South Bend 14" x 40" 220V EVS Toolroom Lathe.
The backside of the South Bend 14" x 40" 220V EVS Toolroom Lathe. The main power switch is on the back of the cabinet above the 5 HP motor. The quill handwheel, work light, and back of the DRO are visible.
The operational left side of the lathe. The main control panel and headstock controls are visible in front. The anchor studs, access panel to the motor, oil fill spout, oil sight glass, and electrical box cooling fan visible on the side.
A close up of the apron including the carriage handwheel, cross slide handwheel, half nut lever, feed control lever, carriage lock bolt, spindle ON/OFF lever, quick change feed direction knob, and manual carriage oil pump.
The removable chip drawer in the open position.
The tailstock including the quill, quill lock, tailstock lock lever, graduated scale, and quill handwheel.
The Fagor digital readout for precise positioning of the carriage and cross slide.
The steady rest in a locked position with the three finger rollers nearly touching.
A close-up of the headstock controls featuring four gearbox levers, the spindle speed range lever, feed direction lever, and gearbox range lever. The main control panel is at the top.
An overhead view of the apron, compound slide, and four-way tool post.
A view inside the open panel box with the Yakisawa Variaspeed G7 inverter and all electrical wiring.
When you require a high quality variable speed lathe
Built for daily use in a busy industrial setting and loaded with all the essential features and high-precision parts, these gearhead metal lathes excel at making dies, fine tools, jigs, thread gauges, and precision test gauges.
They are by no means delicate due to their heavy weight, thick castings, and quality construction providing necessary brawn for demanding production and manufacturing tasks.
The EVS (Electronic Variable Speed) spindle control, as the name implies, allows the operator to quickly set the exact spindle speed within the available range of 20–2500 RPM. Spindle speed is displayed on the digital readout and controlled within each speed range with the use of a dial. This eliminates changing gears or having to look up complex lever positions on a chart!
The 5 HP, 3-phase spindle motor benefits from the Yaskawa variable-frequency driver inverter and ensures smooth, consistent torque at every speed.
The beds of these lathes are constructed with Meehanite castings that have been precision ground and hardened in the traditional three V-way prismatic design—long used on South Bend lathes for accuracy, durability, and rigidity.
The gearbox features quick-change gear knobs and feed rod includes a slip clutch that disables automatic carriage feed in the event of a crash or when it contacts the feed stop.
To further ensure a high degree of accuracy, these lathes are equipped with high quality Japanese spindle bearings. The spindles are the D1-6 camlock type with an MT#6 taper and 2.0625" bore. The tailstock quills offer 6" of travel and have a MT#4 taper.
These EVS lathes also include a pressurized headstock oiling system that pre-lubricates gears/bearings before the spindle starts and delivers perfect lubrication during low speed operations.
Additional standard equipment and features include both steady and follow rests, a Fagor 2-axis DRO for precise positioning, an easy-to-clean chip drawer, a complete coolant system, an adjustable work lamp, a powered cross feed, and a foot brake.
14" x 40" 220V EVS Toolroom Lathe
- Fagor 2-axis DRO for precise positioning of the carriage and cross slide
- Superior engineered uniformity with Meehanite castings
- Signature self-centering South Bend three V-way bed
- Japanese Yaskawa inverter ensuring smooth, consistent torque and reliability
- Enclosed universal gearbox for cutting inch, metric, modular and diametral pitches
- Pressurized lubrication system for headstock gears and bearings
- Safety chuck guard w/ micro-switch shut-off
- 4-Way tool post
- Complete recycling coolant system
- Micrometer carriage stop
- Threading dial indicator
- NSK or NTN Japanese spindle bearings
- Full-length splash guard
- Front-removeable sliding chip tray
- Jog and emergency stop buttons
- US based Customer Service and Technical Support
- Spindle Motor: 5 HP, 220V, 3-phase, 14A (with inverter)
- Power requirement: 220V, 3-phase, 20A min. circuit size
- Oil Pump Motor: 1/4 HP, 3-phase, 1.4A
- Coolant Pump Motor: 1/8 HP, 3-phase, 0.3A
- Bed width: 10.25"
- Swing over bed: 14.17"
- Swing over cross slide: 8.38”
- Swing over saddle: 13.78"
- Swing over gap: 20.98”
- Distance between centers: 40.00"
- Cross slide travel: 9.25”
- Compound slide travel: 5.10”
- Carriage travel: 38.58”
- Spindle nose: D1-6 camlock
- Spindle bore: 2.0625"
- Spindle taper: MT#6
- Spindle speeds: electronically variable, 20-2500 RPM
- Spindle bearings: NSK or NTN tapered roller
- Spindle length: 24.24"
- Spindle length w/3-jaw chuck: 28.74"
- Spindle length w/4-jaw chuck: 34.08"
- Tailstock taper: MT#4
- Tailstock quill travel: 6.00"
- Tailstock barrel diameter: 2.05"
- From 2 to 72 TPI (45 pitches) of Inch threads
- From 0.20 to 14.00mm (39 pitches) of Metric threads
- From 0.30 to 3.5 MP (18 pitches) of Modular pitches
- From 8 to 44.00 DP (21 pitches) of Diametral pitches
- From 0.002 to 0.067 IPR (17 feeds) of Longitudinal range
- From 0.001 to 0.034 IPR (17 feeds) of Cross range
- Maximum tool bit size is 3/4"
- Overall dimensions: 91-1/2" W x 39-1/2" D x 59" H
- Approximate shipping weight: 2984 pounds
Built to true South Bend high-precision industrial standards.
DOWNLOAD OUR SPECIFICATION SHEET FOR COMPLETE SPECIFICATIONS, TWO-YEAR WARRANTY AND ACCESSORY INFORMATION.