Full front-facing view of the Big Bore Lathe
The controls for the cross feed, longitudinal feed and threading along with optional chuck and tool post
The carriage controls
A massive, optional chuck with 9" spindle bore
A close up of the steady rest
The tailstock including the quill, quill lock, tailstock lock lever and handwheel
This item is special order and requires a deposit. Call 360-734-1540 for details.
The 9" Big Bore lathe series resets the industry standard with custom configuration options
South Bend has been making and servicing metal lathes since 1906, so we understand the expectations that come with that legacy. You benefit from that expertise as we introduce you to our line of Big Bore lathes.
With an extra-large 9" spindle bore and inside/outside spindle noses for mounting chucks on both sides of the headstock, these lathes can handle monster-sized workpieces such as large-diameter oil pipes or hydraulic cylinders.
They are exquisitely built with ultra-tight tolerances and the headstocks and gearboxes are assembled in a laboratory-like environment to ensure absolutely pristine bearings and fittings for a lifetime of rugged use.
To further ensure a high degree of accuracy, these lathes are equipped with SKF German spindle bearings and a Fagor DRO.
Settling for nothing but the best, these lathes come with Meehanite-processed castings that have been precision ground and hardened in the traditional three V-way prismatic design—long used on South Bend lathes for accuracy, durability and rigidity.
Each Big Bore lathe is custom-built to order. This allows you to select and pay for only the accessories you need. Based on that, you'll benefit from having extremely large chucks precision-fitted at the factory and already dialed in when your machine arrives.
Made in an ISO 9001 factory
34" x 72" Big Bore Lathe with 9" Bore
- Safety chuck guard with micro-switch shut-off
- Meehanite-processed castings with induction-hardened ways
- Halogen work light
- Complete coolant system
- Digital threading indicator
- SKF German spindle bearings
- Full-length splash guard
- One-piece bed and stand
- Enclosed universal gearbox for cutting inch, metric, modular, and diametral pitches
- Jog button and emergency stop
- Headstock gears run in an oil bath
- Fagor DRO
- Full-length leadscrew cover
- Foot brake
- US based customer service and technical support
- Swing over bed: 34"
- Distance between centers: 72"
- Spindle bore: 9"
- Spindle motor: 30 HP, 230V (prewired) or 460V, 3-phase
- Power requirement: 230V, 3-phase, 90A or 50A at 460V
- Coolant pump motor: 1/8 HP, 3-phase, 0.23A
- Feed motor: 1/4 HP, 3-phase, 2.1 A
- Maximum weight between centers: 2992 lbs.
- Swing over cross slide: 24"
- Swing over gap: 46"
- Maximum tool bit size: 1-1/4"
- Compound travel: 13"
- Cross slide travel: 18-7/8"
- Spindle taper: MT#7, 1/20 OPT
- Number of spindle speeds: 12
- Spindle speed range: 6 - 500 RPM
- Tailstock quill travel: 10"
- Tailstock taper: MT #6
- Tailstock barrel diameter: 4"
- Longitudinal feed range: 0.02-0.27 in./rev
- Cross feed range: 0.01-0.14in./rev
- Longitudinal feed range: 0.05-0.7mm/rev
- Cross feed range: 0.025-0.35mm/rev
- Inch threads: 2-28 TPI (DP 4-56)
- Metric threads: 0.8-14mm (MP 0.4-7)
- Leadscrew diameter and pitch: M45 x 2 TPI
- Z-Axis rapid traverse: 12.14 FPM
- X-Axis rapid traverse: 5.9 FPM
- Gap width - one piece: 19"
- Bed width: 20"
- Overall dimensions: 69" x 148"
- Net weight: 12556 lbs.
- Two MT#6 dead centers (1 carbon steel and 1 carbide tipped)
- MT#7 to MT#6 spindle sleeve
- Ten leveling pads
- Service tools
Built to true South Bend high-precision industrial standards.
DOWNLOAD OUR SPECIFICATION SHEET FOR COMPLETE SPECIFICATIONS, TWO-YEAR WARRANTY AND ACCESSORY INFORMATION.