The South Bend Heavy 10 Gearhead Lathe
The Heavy 10 Gearhead Lathe set on the optional Heavy 10 Lathe Stand
The backside of the South Bend Heavy 10 Gearhead Lathe
The headstock and quick-change gearbox controls
View of the carriage in relationship to the bedways and leadscrew
The carriage controls
The tailstock controls
The backside of the tailstock control featuring the tailstock lock lever
The four-way tool post mounted on top of the compound rest
The spindle spider components
View of the the end gears that control the speed of the leadscrew
Through the years, no lathe has been as popular or as iconic as a Heavy 10®
The Heavy 10 takes it to a new level unheard of before in bench lathes. Loaded with all the essential features and high-precision parts, this gearhead metal lathe excels at making fine threads for rifle barrels and other precision parts, and it is by no means delicate.
Thick castings, heavy weight, and quality construction throughout provide the necessary brawn for demanding production and manufacturing tasks, yet light enough to be quick and responsive to the operator.
This lathe is packed with standard features and equipment, including a powered carriage and cross feed, 3-jaw chuck, jog button, and spindle spider for outboard projects like barrels.
Spindle speeds are controlled by convenient headstock levers, which allow the operator to quickly set the spindle speed within the available range of 55-2200 RPM.
A heavy-duty 3 HP Delta variable-frequency driver inverter ensures smooth, consistent torque at every speed from the 2 HP two-speed 3-phase motor without requiring a 3-phase power.
The bed of the lathe is constructed with FC30 cast-iron, hardened and precision ground in the traditional three V-way prismatic design - long used on South Bend lathes for accuracy, durability and rigidity.
The gearbox features quick-change gear knobs and feed rod includes a slip clutch that disables automatic carriage feed when it contacts the feed stop or in the event of a crash.
Certified to CSA & UL standards
Heavy 10® Gearhead Lathe
- Signature South Bend three V-way bed
- Quick-change gearbox for cutting inch and metric pitches
- 6" 3-jaw scroll chuck mounted to D1-4 plate
- Outboard spindle spider for gunsmithing
- Carriage and cross-slide power feed
- Change gears with drive shaft
- Adjustable carriage stop
- Thread dial indicator
- 4-Way tool post
- Toolbox with service tools
- US Based Customer Service and Technical Support
- Motor: 2 HP, 240V, 3-phase, 5.5A (with inverter)
- Power requirement: 240V, single-phase, 15A min. circuit size
- Swing over bed: 10-3⁄4"
- Distance between centers: 30"
- Hole through spindle: 1.358"
- Swing over cross slide: 6-5⁄8"
- Maximum weight between centers: 80 pounds
- Width of bed: 7"
- Cross slide travel: 4-5⁄8"
- Compound slide travel: 4"
- Spindle nose: D1-4 camlock
- Spindle taper: MT#5
- Spindle speeds: (8), 55-2200 RPM
- Spindle bearings: tapered roller
- Spindle length: 13-5⁄8"
- Spindle length w/ 3-jaw chuck: 17-11⁄16"
- Tailstock taper: MT#3
- Tailstock quill travel: 3.125"
- Tailstock barrel diameter: 1.574"
- Inch threads: 4.5 to 128 TPI (37 pitches)
- Metric threads: 0.25 to 2mm (15 pitches)
- Longitudinal feed range: 0.0018 to 0.0128 IPR
- Cross feeds: 0.0009 to 0.0064 IPR
- Number of feed selections: 15
- Maximum tool bit size: 1⁄2"
- Overall dimensions: 51-1⁄2" x 8-3⁄8"
- Approximate shipping weight: 645 pounds
Built to true South Bend high-precision industrial standards.
DOWNLOAD OUR SPECIFICATION SHEET FOR COMPLETE SPECIFICATIONS, TWO-YEAR WARRANTY AND ACCESSORY INFORMATION.